20th March 2022 - Email from Dr Krish Kandiah (Sanctuary Foundation) linking Refugee aid agencies churches and communities for the Government Homes for Ukranian Refugees scheme: www.sanctuaryfoundation.org.uk
In the meantime what can churches do to help welcome Ukrainian refugees?
- Pray for Peace in Ukraine and for a change of heart from Russia’s leaders.
- Ukraine’s refugee crisis continues to increase – some 70 000 children a day are becoming refugees. Most people leaving are women and children and there are real concerns around the risk of abuse and trafficking.
- The government scheme is brand new and untested. Pray that it will allow many people to come to the UK safely and be looked after by appropriate carers.
- The civil servants working on developing this scheme are working extremely long hours.
- The Hong Kong resettlement, Afghan resettlement and now the Ukrainian humanitarian scheme all in the past year have brought significant challenges. Please pray for continued endurance and wisdom and for them to find encouragement in the good that they do.
Household Support Fund
In March, the Government announced an extension of the Household Support Fund. It first started in November 2021. The latest award for Peterborough is £1.82 million, to support those in need with food and utility bills. This funding comes with guidance telling us to focus on: Families with children, Pensioners, Other vulnerable households. We want to do the best we can to help as many people with this funding who are struggling in our city.
For more information. https://www.peterborough.gov.uk/council/
Citizens Advice Peterborough have been co-ordinating the Household Support Fund application process but they do not seem to be getting applications from single vulnerable adults or couples. All that is needed is first name, surname and a mobile number or email. Food vouchers are £25 and fuel is £50 although they need to have a pre-paid meter.
Contact: Steve Pettican: firstname.lastname@example.org
who will pass names onto the city council who are liaising with Citizens Advice
The Knife Angel Visits Corby